Posts Tagged ‘unreimbursed medical expenses’

What home care and assisted living advantages can be found for veterans and their surviving spouses?

For veterans and the veteran’s surviving spouses who want in-home care or are in an assisted residing facility, help is available. The Veterans Administration has an underused pension called Aid and Attendance. This benefit gives money to those that require help performing regular basis tasks, bathing, feeding, dressing, or going to the bathroom, bedridden, blind, or residing in an assisted living facility or nursing home.  However, you have to further qualify for this benefit. Aid and Attendance is available to veterans who served not less than 90 days, with at least one day during World War II, Korea, Vietnam or…

Read More »

Saluting our Senior Veterans

For eligibility for A & A, it is primarily determined by the veteran’s assets, income, and unreimbursed medical expenses (UME)

What happens to a Veteran’s VA Benefits if they receive Medicaid?

The veteran, if qualified for Medicaid, will receive $90.00 for personal needs only. This is non-countable by Medicaid; however, some Medicaid agencies make it countable income. Additionally, $90 is only for single claimants; not married veterans.  However, if the community spouse has sufficient Unreimbursed Medical Expenses, and the veteran’s out-of-pocket expenses, this offsets total household gross income. Therefore, if the veteran is on Medicaid, continues to receive the full pension plus Aid and Attendance of $1,949.00 per month. For more in to increase your monthly income, please contact us about a FREE HANDBOOK about VA Benefits, written by David Wingate,…

Read More »

Does the VA consider prior medical expenses for a VA application?

The VA does not recognize non-recurring drugs.

How can a home owning veteran afford an assisted living facility?

First, only paid unreimbursed medical expenses can be claimed. Consequently, if the veteran is not already in an assisted living facility, it does not count. Therefore, the veteran needs to move into the assisted living facility. Otherwise, the veteran needs a paid caregiver until they can obtain the VA benefits and then move into the Assisted Living Facility.  Therefore, once the award comes in, utilize the VA benefits to move the veteran into the assisted living facility.  If you utilize a family caregiver, there must be a money exchange and it cannot exceed what the claimant can actually pay, either…

Read More »