Posts Tagged ‘veteran’

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) now 100% Service Connected for Certain Veterans

VA published a final rulemaking in the Federal Registry on December 20, 2011 to revise the evaluation criterion for ALS in the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities. This new ruling affords any veteran with ALS who served 90 days active duty (with typically an other than dishonorable discharge) to be rated 100% service connected from the onset of his service connected award. This eliminates the need for the veteran to continue to be re-evaluated, given the severity and progressive nature of the disease. This amendment became effective on January 19, 2012 and applies for benefits that: are received by the…

Read More »

Primary AL Amyloidosis Now Presumptive to Herbicide Exposure

On February 8, 2012, AL Amyloidosis (Primary Amyloidosis) was put into the Federal Registry (with effective date of March 9, 2012) as presumptive to herbicide exposure. The rating for this condition will be 100% upon award. Any veteran with this disease who served in-country Vietnam, or on or near the Korean DMZ between April 1, 1968 and August 31, 1971, or on or near military bases in Thailand during the Vietnam Conflict should consider filing a claim. Veterans who served on ships or planes in the waterways or harbors of Vietnam may also be entitled to benefits if they have…

Read More »

Clarifying Guidance for Awarding the Purple Heart

Concussion injuries include mild traumatic brain injuries and concussive injuries that did not result in a loss of consciousness.  The Army’s recent guidance includes medically approved signs, symptoms and treatment and is designed to help veterans understand the specific requirements for consideration and reconsideration of qualifying concussion injuries.  The Army encourages veterans who were previously denied the Purple Heart for concussion injuries to resubmit documentation for reconsideration.  Veteran inquiries should be routed to Commander, U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Attention: Awards and Decorations Branch, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5400.  This policy is retroactive to September 11, 2001.

Veterans Should Be Treated With Honor, Respect And The Best Care Available.

In a recent New York Times article highlighted the failure of our government to adequately attend to the medical problems of our soldiers who suffered war injuries, physical and mental. This has resulted in thousands of suicides among the returning soldiers. The Times reported that the Department of Veterans Affairs informed the parents of William Hamilton, an Iraq war veteran, that it was not responsible for his death. Mr. Hamilton had been admitted nine times to a V.A. psychiatric ward in Palo Alto. He saw demon women and talked to a man he had killed in Iraq. His parents allege…

Read More »

What home care and assisted living advantages can be found for veterans and their surviving spouses?

For veterans and the veteran’s surviving spouses who want in-home care or are in an assisted residing facility, help is available. The Veterans Administration has an underused pension called Aid and Attendance. This benefit gives money to those that require help performing regular basis tasks, bathing, feeding, dressing, or going to the bathroom, bedridden, blind, or residing in an assisted living facility or nursing home.  However, you have to further qualify for this benefit. Aid and Attendance is available to veterans who served not less than 90 days, with at least one day during World War II, Korea, Vietnam or…

Read More »

How To File A Service Connected VA Benefit

Veterans of the U.S. armed forces who have sustained service-related injuries in the line of duty are eligible to receive disability benefits, which can range from $120 to $3,100 each month. Filing your application for disability benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs quickly is very important, as the process can take months to complete. If your benefits application is denied and you still need help, be aware that you can file an appeal. Contact your local Veterans Affairs office and ask them to send you VA Form 21-526, entitled "Veterans' Application for Compensation and/or Pension." You can locate a…

Read More »

Veterans are missing out on benefits they’ve earned

By Rita Files … Too often, veterans go without services they need simply because they are unaware of benefits they earned through their service. Consider the Aid and Attendance benefit, which is meant to help aging veterans and their surviving spouses pay for care at home, in a nursing home, or in an assisted-living facility. Millions of veterans and their families are failing to take advantage of it. According to a recent report, about 105,000 veterans were using the benefit last year. Yet the pool of potential recipients could be much bigger. There are 2.3 million World War II vets…

Read More »

How does the widow of a veteran apply to receive the medical benefits?

CHAMPVA health benefits are for spouses and dependent children of living veterans who are rated 100% and for surviving spouses and dependent children of veterans who were 100% rated at the time of death or who died service connected.  They are not available for pension surviving spouses. The forms are 10-10d and 10-7959c

Can a veteran apply for Aid and Attendance benefits, if spouse has dementia?

If a war time veteran who served 90 days active duty with one day during war time, an honorable discharge, AND have limited financial resources and gross income, the veteran can file for non-service connected pension benefits and use the cost of home care etc. to offset their total household gross income to receive the pension. If the veteran is independent, the maximium per month is $1,291.00 or $15,493.00 annually. If the veteran, also requires assistance, can qualify for up to $1,949.00 per month or $23,396.00 annually.

Does workman’s compensation count as veteran’s income on the VA A&A application?

Yes.  See following from 38 CFR 3.262 (i) Compensation ( civilian ) for injury or death. (1) Compensation paid by the Bureau of Employees' Compensation, Department of Labor (of the United States), or by Social Security Administration, or by Railroad Retirement Board, or pursuant to any workmen's compensation or employer's liability statute, or damages collected because of personal injury or death, less medical, legal, or other expenses incident to the injury or death, or the collection or recovery of such moneys will be considered income as received, except as provided in paragraph (i)(2) of this section. The criteria of paragraph…

Read More »