Posts Tagged ‘financial’

Why You Need A Power of Attorney

Why would you ever consider giving someone else the power to manage your health and financial affairs? After all, you’re healthy and don’t have any concerns. However, if you have a heart attack, stroke or an accident that leaves you suddenly incapacitated, who will carry out your affairs? Consequently, you should consider a power of attorney. A few simple steps can relieve you of worry and your family from the burden associated with the difficult decisions that come with aging. What is a Power of Attorney? A power of attorney is a legal document allowing someone to act on another’s behalf….

Read More »

Should You Hire an Elder Care Attorney?

When a loved one is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and requires assistance throughout the day, the spouse and adult children are faced with two choices. First, if you wish to keep that person well cared for in the home; Join the ranks of the 65 million family caregivers in this country and become a full-time caregiver. Or else hire a home-care aide to help with the many tasks throughout the day and night, from bathing and dressing to preparing food and doing housework and laundry.  Since each of these options has its own drawbacks, many concerned people, especially those who…

Read More »

Most Baby Boomers Lack A Plan To Care For Parents

In a recent USA Today article called “Most Baby Boomers Lack A Plan To Care For Parents” a majority of Baby Boomers say they are likely to become caregivers for their parents, but only half can name any medications their parents take, a new survey shows. The survey of 600 adults ages 45 to 65, conducted for the Home Instead Senior Care network, also found: •31% don't know how many medications their parents take. •34% don't know whether their parents have a safe deposit box or where the key is. •36% don't know where their parents' financial information is located….

Read More »

What is a Special (Supplemental) Needs Trust and Why is it Advisable?

In the State of Maryland, and Federal Law parents of a special needs child can set up a Supplemental (or a Special Needs) trust for their children which will not disqualify them from government benefits, such as Social Security and Medicaid. Unfortunately, prior to this protection, parents would simply disinherit their disabled children rather than see their hard earned savings be squandered to the state. Now, the child receives money from the trust for their extra needs i.e. what the state does not supply, such as vacations; special equipment; medical help that the state does not provide or supply, glasses,…

Read More »

Aging Parents – Overwhelmed and Confused

As we age, our needs and demands change. Senior Life Care Planning’s goal is to educate and assist you in achieving quality of life and peace of mind. Before the care journey becomes overwhelming, it's important to have trusted professionals guiding you on your path. Our philosophy is to provide a dedicated service and attention to our clients to make the aging process empowering and rewarding. We are often asked: How can I protect my assets to take care of my spouse, or to leave them to my children?  Do I have to spend all of my money on the nursing…

Read More »

Do I Really Need Senior Life Care Planning’s Advocacy and Guidance Plan?

Is your work, commitments, family demands and responsibilities now so great that you are not able to provide the desired level of advocacy, supervision and attention to your loved one’s issues?

Senior Life Care Planning’s workshop educates seniors, their families and professionals about common mistakes, myths and concerns related to aging.

Therefore, it is important to know what steps to take before and when additional care is necessary, to avoid a crisis.

What is the VA procedure of a DRO and a BVA?

Briefly, a DRO is at the local VARO office and can be requested by a claimant at any time.  This senior adjudicator and can overturn the original's adjudicator's decision and approve the claim.  If he denies the claim, he must send a statement of the case which gives the claimant the reasons for the denial. From the time that a DRO denies the claim, the claimant has only 60 days to file his formal appeal with the BVA, using form VA9. The Board of Veterans Appeals (BVA) is part of the VA and is in Washington.  Its judges review claims that were…

Read More »

There are a number of financial organizations that abuse seniors and those who refer to them, if they knew or should have known that the senior (or disabled) was likely to be financially abused.

There are a number of financial organizations that abuse seniors and those who refer to them, if they knew or should have known that the senior (or disabled) was likely to be financially abused. For statutes related to annuity and financial abuse see (  On this website, you will find the statutes and California case law. Combine that with information you can find on the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform website and that of the State Bar AND the Attorney General’s website. 

You need to be aware of self described “veterans advocates” who are in fact unscrupulous investment advisors.

These financial scammers state that “we’ll get you eligible for VA benefits, thus you’ll have more income, to pay for the assisted living facility or the home care nurse, and all you have to do is purchase this annuity.”