Veteran’s daughter is providing services to Veteran: talking to physicians, employees at the assisted living facility, paying all bills etc can she be paid?

If daughter is managing the "medical care” it may be billed and used as UME. However, there is no designated amount to claim per hour. Consequently, the hourly rate is subjective on the adjudicator, to offset the UME.

Paying non-medical bills is not usually considered UME. 

If daughter is providing personal care; e.g. ADLs, protective environment, medication management, or other "hands on" services, a higher rate may be charged.  Additionally, if a professional; e.g. nurse, CNA, the amount allowed may be even higher.

To increase your monthly income, please contact us about a FREE VA benefits HANDBOOK, written by David Wingate, an accredited VA Attorney, of Senior Life Care Planning, LLC, go to or if you require additional information about VA Benefits, visit our Maryland Veterans Benefits website.

Please review our Blog on Elder Issues and Veteran's Benefits.

Additionally, if you are not receiving our Newsletter, please subscribe to our free NEWSLETTER to stay on top of senior and veteran’s issues.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted on: No Comments

Leave a Reply