Posts Tagged ‘right of occupancy’

Veteran resides at an assisted living facility but wants to retain her home?

If you rent the home this is income. Therefore you have to report this income, and it can affect your aid and attendance. Consequently, prepare a caregiving agreement, where a family member will reside in the residence, and they will pay the taxes and property insurance only.  This is exempt as rental income. Therefore, you do not have to declare the money paid by the family member, as this is considered family maintenance. Additionally, the veteran must retain the right of occupancy i.e. to occupy the home at any time. Therefore, the home remains an exempt asset.