Can a Veteran have both service connected and non-service connected benefits?

No. If the veteran is rated 100%, they may receive an additional amount – special monthly compensation (SMC), if the need for Aid & Attendance is a service connected condition.  Also, if the veteran, rated under100%, is unemployable due to his service connected condition, they can file for unemployability. Therefore, their rating is 100%. Consequently, file for the SMC. These VA benefits exceed NSC pension. Also, if the veteran is married, they will receive additional money.  Remember, that assets, income, and UME do not matter in a SC claim.

However, if his SC condition is not the cause for increased care, you may forfeit the SC compensation and file for NSC pension. However, unlike SC total household assets, gross income, UME, and his life expectancy matter in the NSC claim.  The maximum amount is $1,949.00 per month. If his SC condition is combat related, he can also file for a match to his VA from the DOD.  This is called Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC).  If you take CRSC, you lose your CRDP from the DOD, but it is taxable; whereas, the CRSC is non-taxable and in most cases a better deal for the retired combat service connected vet.

For more in to increase your monthly income, please contact us about a FREE HANDBOOK about VA Benefits, written by David Wingate, an accredited VA Attorney, of Senior Life Care Planning, LLC, go to or if you require additional information about VA Benefits, visit our Maryland Veterans Benefits

We also have a Blog on Elder Issues and Veteran's Benefits.

If you are not receiving our Newsletter, go ahead and subscribe to our free NEWSLETTER to stay on top of senior issues.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted on: No Comments

Leave a Reply