Know the early warning signs of Alzheimer’s Disease
Is it aging or something else? Sometimes it can be hard to tell — that’s why experts say we should all be aware of the early warning signs of Alzheimer’s and dementia. Symptoms can include*:
– Memory loss that affects day-to-day function.
– Difficulty performing familiar tasks.
– Problems with language.
– Disorientation of time and place.
– Poor or decreased judgment. (This symptom can be tricky because a person with Alzheimer’s might not realize they have a health problem that needs attention.)
– Problems with abstract thinking.
– Misplacing things.
– Changes in mood and behaviour.
– Changes in personality.
– Loss of initiative.
(*Source: The Alzheimer’s Society. For more details, see 10 warning signs of Alzheimer’s .)
Knowing about these early warning signs is especially crucial now that experts know changes begin in the brain much earlier than previously thought. In fact, recent reports suggest that brain decline can begin at 45 . While the risk of Alzheimer’s does increase with age, some forms of the disease can affect adults in their 40s and 50s too.Tags: 10 warning signs of Alzheimer's, aging, Alzheimer's disease, dementia, warning signs