Our office is OPEN to help Maryland Residents.

Posts Tagged ‘burial benefits’

What’s the proper way to notify the VA of the death of a veteran receiving Aid and Attendance?

Provide the VA with a statement in support of claim form (21-4138) and a copy of the death certificate when available.  To stop direct deposit of benefits, the next of kin or Personal Representative of the Estate should call 1-877-838-2778 and request payments be stopped. The VA pays one month in arrears; the check for March is for the month of February. Therefore, the deceased, a single veteran with no dependents, the check for February can be kept. However, the March check needs to be returned.  If the veteran was married or a dependent child, the check for the entire month…

Read More »

What VA Benefits are Available for a Service Connected Veteran’s Surviving Spouse?

The spouse must file within one year of the veterans death to preserve a retroactive payment date of the first day of the month after the vet’s death.

Surviving spouse who deceased husband was 100% service related disabled, is she entitled to Aid and Attendance?

If spouse, is residing at an assisted living facility, receiving paid home care or has a large expenditure of UME, depending on other factors, assets, income etc the surviving spouse may be eligible for an additional $286.00 per month for A & A.  Complete the doctor's affidavit (form 21-2680) and form 21-4142. Additionally, file for CHAMPVA health insurance and if not receiving Tricare for Life. Also, if veteran died service connected, apply for burial benefits. To increase your monthly income, please contact us about a FREE VA benefits HANDBOOK, written by David Wingate, an accredited VA Attorney, of Senior Life…

Read More »