Our office is OPEN to help Maryland Residents.

Posts Tagged ‘A & A’

Surviving spouse who deceased husband was 100% service related disabled, is she entitled to Aid and Attendance?

If spouse, is residing at an assisted living facility, receiving paid home care or has a large expenditure of UME, depending on other factors, assets, income etc the surviving spouse may be eligible for an additional $286.00 per month for A & A.  Complete the doctor's affidavit (form 21-2680) and form 21-4142. Additionally, file for CHAMPVA health insurance and if not receiving Tricare for Life. Also, if veteran died service connected, apply for burial benefits. To increase your monthly income, please contact us about a FREE VA benefits HANDBOOK, written by David Wingate, an accredited VA Attorney, of Senior Life…

Read More »

Are Veterans Long Term Care Insurance Premiums of Well Spouse deductible as out of pocket expenses?

This appears to be a gray area within the VA.  Although the law allows medical insurance premiums as unreimbursed medical expenses (UME), some adjudicators will deny LTC premiums.  I would certainly submit them and if they are denied, send a notice of disagreement (if they are important to the outcome of the claim).  I believe a good argument could be made that they are indeed “medical” insurance premiums, especially in light of the fact that assisted living is now considered to be equivalent to nursing home care for the purpose of pension plus A & A and LTC can be…

Read More »