SSA Representative Payee Interdisciplinary Training
The Social Security Administration has released a video series on Representative Payee Interdisciplinary Training.
The video series includes modules providing key information for serving as a representative payee — an overview of programs administered by SSA; representative payee program policies; roles, duties and responsibilities for representative payees; recognizing signs of abuse and financial exploitation; how to recognize financial abuse and fraud in banking activities; and changes in decisional capacity, including the need to support beneficiaries in decision-making. SSA notes that while the training was developed for representative payees, it also could be helpful for others who work with beneficiaries or other older individuals.
SSA collaborated with a number of partners in developing the training series:
- Administration on Aging within the Administration for Community Living
- Consumer Protection Financial Protection Bureau
- Senior Corps programs which are funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service
- Anne Arundel County Department of Social Services
- City of Chicago Department of Family & Support Services
- Wells Fargo and its Financial Education Program Hands On Banking
- National Adult Protective Services Association
- Rush University Medical Center
David Wingate is an elder law attorney at the Elder Law Office of David Wingate, LLC. The elder law office services clients with powers of attorneys, living wills, Wills, Trusts, Medicaid and asset protection. The Elder Law office has locations in Frederick and Montgomery Counties, Maryland.