If you are turning 65 this year, first, let me congratulate you! However?
Let me also refer you to Seven Tips for Baby Boomers Turning 65 in 2011, a recent article from US News & World Report.
1. Sign up for Medicare on time. There is a seven month window surrounding your 65th birthday during which you can sign up for Medicare, and this starts three months prior to the big day. For every 12 month period during which you haven’t signed up for Medicare Part B, your premiums may go up by 10%. If you are on an employer plan, you’ll have to sign up within eight months of leaving that plan to avoid the penalty.
2. Schedule your free physical. Within the first 12 months of signing up for Medicare Part B you are eligible for a free physical and other preventative screenings.
3. Delay Social Security until next year or later. You won’t receive your full benefits if you accept them this year since the monthly amounts will be reduced to account for the extra year of benefits. If you delay taking your benefits however, and you can do this up to age 70, your monthly payments will go up and this may be worth it in the long run if you intend to have a long retirement and can stand the extra years off social security benefits.
4. Create a retirement spending strategy. You will need to pay tax on withdrawals from IRAs or 401(k)s so that must be accounted for, and withdrawals of the proper amount are also mandatory after age 70½. You’ll need to plan to minimize the effect of these taxes and payments so as to stretch out your assets for retirement.
5. Keep up with your job skills. If you will still need to work, make you stay on top of training and computer skills. You don’t want to get pushed out of the workforce before you are ready.
6. Negotiate a new work schedule. You may need to stay in the workforce, or simply want to stay active, but you may not want to continue working full time. Try negotiating a more flexible, less demanding work schedule. According to
7. Plan your Retirement. Whether you’re working or not, they are your golden years so plan them wisely.
Suggested key words: